Thursday, August 18, 2005

NYC

So one of my coworkers is working from NYC. The original deal was that he'd spend a week working from NYC and then 3 weeks in Raleigh. His wife is getting her PhD from Columbia and so he's got to split the difference. Then, he knocked her up. So, now he's working 3 weeks from the City, 1 week from Raleigh. Not a bad deal for him... he gets to work from home, make his own hours, attend weekly team meetings in his boxers, all of that. Works out well for me too. Let me explain. A couple of weeks ago, my boss called me into his office and said "I really want you to go to NYC to do some integration, but I can't afford to send you up there. So, if you end up going to NY to visit the parents or whatever, you can work for a week from there." Just so happens, my cousin, who tried to murder me as a small child by way of a cookie (ask me about it sometime), is getting married. She's not really my cousin, but I've known her since I was 0, so she's just abotu as close as I can get to it. Anyways, that whole situation worked out rather well. So now, I'm writing to you all from absolutely the best city in the world. Don't get me wrong, I'd never live here, I couldn't. But, it is nice to be able to work out of Times Square for a week. For some reason, the bright lights just never get old to me. So that's why I'm here, getting to work from NYC and take it easy for a week, although my commute went from 1.5 minutes to 1.5 hours. Regardless, not bad.

The Wedding.

The wedding was held at the Garden City Hotel, the most expensive hotel on Long Island. Let me tell you, you get your money's worth. DAMN, service was impeccable. The disposable towels in the bathroom were nicer than the non-disposable ones I have at home. Plus, it seemed like they took all of the most beautiful indian girls on Long Island and put them in a room. That was, well, enjoyable. They mostly seemed pretty superficial though, and of course I was with my entire extended family and although I had had a bit to drink, there was no way I was going up to anyone trying to hit on them. It was a blast though, I got to see Ashish (whom I've also known since I was 0, and pretty much the only person in the world that I trust completely and utterly). I also got to see Jay, who was by far my best friend throughout highschool. I'd even go so far as to say we were joined at the hips... Jay and Samir. Anyways, got to see him, had some drinks with him, all in all a great night.

Last night I went out to dinner with an old friend, Archie. Archie and I have always got along pretty well because I think we're so similar. We seem to reject the typical bullshit that goes with being an Indian kid that grew up in NY. These kids in that scene are so focused on drama. Everyone knows each other, talks shit about each other, and is completely fake. You're only as good as what you wear, what you drive, and what you did last friday night. I just think its bullshit, and those that know me will know that I've always rejected that scene. I did have a decent amount of Indian friends in HS, but I think I had like 2 indian friends in college. I guess I just associate with other people better, although before they really know me, they consider me an outsider. So I guess I lose either way, but oh well, c'est la vie. Anyways, Archie and I went to this place called John's Pizzeria right outside Times Square. The food was amazing and the convorsation even more amazing. I think we sat for like 2 hours after we were done eating just conversing about random aspects of our lives.

Today, I had the pleasure of going out with Rinny and Ed. Rin's got a job being an "office bitch" for some firm in the city so she's living it up -- see "Rin in the City". Ed was in town for a couple of days, so it's awesome that I got to catch up with them both. We went to some italian place on the corner of Bleecher and MacDougal (my beloved village). Food was great, service, eh, not so much, but the convorsation made up for it. I really miss those two especially out of all my friends up at school because, I don't know, they are just so real. I know I can count on them for anything, Ed has proven that to me time and time again. The kid doesn't have a bad bone in his body, and, he has gained alot of trust and respect from me. Plus, he's literally the hardest worker I know, you'd think the kid supports a family of 7 with how hard he works. Rin is awesome too, by far one of the coolest fems I know. She's about the definition of what an amazing lil sister should be. Alot of girls I know are a mixed bag of sorts, good in some ways, not so much in others. She, however, is definately awesome. It was good to see them both, especially cause I know I won't be able to see them for quite a while.

Hmm, so that's about it. I'm loving being in the city right now because everything is just so familiar, and I know so many people around me. I also did miss my parents, regardless of how crazy they drive me. Plus, Java loves my house, he's got someone to play with all day, a yard to run around in, life is good for him right now. I'm looking forward to going back home to Raleigh, but I am thoroughly enjoying the north, in all it's non-hillbilly glory. If you're still reading, thank you, my apologies for the verbosity. I can't update that often, so when I do, I write quite a bit.

Oh and one more thing. I got a nice phone call around 3:30am last night from Pete, Chuckles, Lil Tony, Joe and DMC. I didn't answer but I woke up to a lovely voice mail that involved them explaining to me their version of a "gardenburger" (which happens to be rather interesting), having the deaf kid say "What's up" to me, and then ending it with "Ya heard it... bitch". Now, I found this rather amusing and decided to put that last line in my away message. Except, it just so happens that I accidentally changed it to that on my work sn. It was like that for like 2 hours.... YIKES. Hope nobody noticed.


Anyhow, goodnight all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home